Direct: +27 (0) 11 041 2619
Michael-James practices principally in the field of competition and general regulatory law and has experience in a broad range of competition law matters including advising clients on general restrictive practices, abuse of dominance cases, cartel investigations, search and seizure operations, leniency and exemption applications, market inquiries and merger control.
Michael-James has a particular interest in advising clients in the broader African region as well and has assisted clients on a range of competition law and general commercial matters in Botswana, COMESA, Ethiopia, Kenya, Namibia, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Michael-James also practices general commercial litigation and arbitration, white collar crime, protection of personal information and consumer protection legislation and regularly advises and conducts compliance training to clients.
- Michael-James graduated with an LLB and a B.Com from the University of Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- Michael-James was selected as an Erasmus-exchange student to the University of Antwerp, Belgium, during which time Michael-James focused on European competition and economic law.
Recent matters in which Michael-James has acted include:
- Assisted the Monsanto Company in Bayer’s global acquisition of Monsanto.
- Assisted Samsung Electronics Company Limited and Harman International Industries Incorporated in obtaining unconditional merger approval from the South African competition authorities.
- Assisted Samsung Electronics Company Ltd in the disposal of its printer business to Hewlett-Packard (HP) Inc.
- Represented Allergan PLC in the Pfizer/Allergan merger (subsequently abandoned).
- Currently assisting a major international airline in relation to its regulatory and competition affairs across Africa.
- Assisting clients in relation to the Competition Commission’s dawn raid and investigation into the LPG sector.
- Currently assisting clients in relation to the South African competition authorities’ investigation into the automotive parts sector.
- Currently representing clients in relation to the Competition Commission’s market inquiry into the Grocery Retail sector.
- Assisted Premier FMCG in a precedent setting before the Supreme Court of Appeal in relation to the non-citation of a respondent before the Competition Tribunal.
- Advising clients on the Competition Commission’s investigation into the milling industry; the oil & gas sector, motion picture sector and automotive parts sector, which includes assisting clients in dawn raids, corporate leniency applications and litigation.
- Assisting clients in the automotive sector and air passenger industry in respect of exemption applications.
Michael-James is a regular contributor to Africanantitrust, and has also authored and co-authored a number of articles including:
- Contributor to JUTA’S “Class Action Litigation in South Africa”, 2017
- Thompson Reuters: Financial Crimes in South Africa, 2017
- Thompson Reuters: Business crime and investigations in South Africa, 2017
- Thompson Reuters: Cartel leniency in South Africa: Overview 2016,
- South African Chapter for the American Bar Association’s Antitrust law Developments, 2017
- Global Competition Review: The African and Middle Eastern Antitrust Review, 2016,
- Michael-James also contributes to the Concurrence’s e-Competition Bulletin
- Dichotomy Of Powers But Confluence In Policy Interplay Between Intellectual Property And Competition Law published by the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law, 2018
- Follow On Damages for Anti-competitive Conduct: A Need for Legislative Intervention? presented at the 11th Annual Competition Law, Economics and Policy Conference held in Johannesburg, 2017
- Developments in South African Merger Control – Ministerial Interventionism and the Impact on Timing & Certainty, 2016
- South Africa Excessive Pricing: An Evaluation of the Sasol Chemical Industries Case – A New Dawn or the Continuation of the Status Quo?, 2015
- Predatory Pricing and the South African Competition Act: A False Positive?, 2015
- Michael-James is a member of the ICN Advocacy Strategy Project on “Planning an effective advocacy strategy” (2016-2017) as well as part of the drafting team for the ICN’s Advocacy Working Group’s ‘Competition Benefits Project’ (2015-2016).
- Michael-James is a member of the American Bar Association team on the Section of Antitrust Law: “Procedural Transparency Task Force 2016-17”.
- Presented at the 11th South African Annual Competition Law, Economics and Policy Conference held in Johannesburg, 2017
- Michael-James chaired the International Competition Networks teleseminar on “Monitoring and assessing the results of advocacy efforts”, 2017.
- Presented at the Indian Ocean Pacific Rim and Pietermaritzburg Chamber of Business “Digital Literacy Symposium” conference on ‘Competition Law and Regional Integration – An African Snapshot’, Pietermaritzburg 2017.
- Presented on the impact of the Financial Intelligence Centre Act at the “3rd Annual Money Transfers & Cross Border Payments Conference” in Johannesburg, 2016.
- Presented at the French South African Chamber of Commerce conference “The regulatory dynamics of doing business in South Africa today: costs, consequences and promoting competition” on the introduction and impact of criminalisation for cartel conduct, 2016
- Presented at the ASM “Social Media Law Conference” on the Protection of Personal Information Act and Protection of State Information Bill, Windhoek, Namibia in 2015.
- Presented on various aspects of the Protection to Personal Information Act to the Ekurhuleni North Chamber of Commerce & Industry (ENCCI) conference, Johannesburg, 2015.
- Senior contributor to the American Bar Associations Procedural Transparency Task Force Team for Africa (South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia and Egypt), 2017-2018
- Michael-James is a member of the ICN Advocacy Strategy Project on “Planning an effective advocacy strategy” (2016-2017) as well as part of the drafting team for the ICN’s Advocacy Working Group’s ‘Competition Benefits Project’, 2016-2017.
Michael-James is a senior associate at Nortons Incorporated.