Avias is currently the in-house economist for Nortons Incorporated. Prior to joining Nortons, Avias received considerable exposure in the field of economics and competition law at the Competition Commission in the Competition Commissions Enforcements and Exemption Division as well as the Competition Commissions Policy and Research Division.
Significant Litigation Transactions
- Avias has extensive experience in providing analysis and advice on market definition, pricing and non-pricing firm strategies related to investigations into practices of abuse of dominant positions, mergers and acquisitions, and market inquiries.
- Avias also has extensive experience in the litigation processes of the Competition Tribunal. These include the production of expert economic reports and analyses in a wide range of cases arising from the application of competition laws before the South African competition Tribunal.
- Avias also contributed, through economic analysis, in reviewing the Competition Commission’s prioritization framework. He also provided significant input into identifying future prioritization sectors for the Competition Commission.
- Avias has provided economic analysis and advice to government departments during his time at the Competition Commission. These included the reviewing of pricing patterns in key food basket categories for the Economic Development Department and assessments of trade statistics across various industries for the Department of Trade and Industry.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- Wheat milling
- bread baking
- Beer brewing and distribution
- Newspaper publishing
- Knock and Drop distribution
- Shopping centre developments
- Horse racing
- Industrial Chemicals
- Maritime and the Petroleum Sectors